If you’re getting ready to put your home on the market, replacing dated cabinets and out-of-style wallpaper is essential in order to not only sell your home more quickly, but for a better price. Here are a few key spots around the house that yield the best payback when it comes to selling:
– Put in a new front door or paint your old one. The front door is one of the most important things in selling a home that many people tend to overlook. The typical cost for this project is usually under $1,300 and pays back around 73 percent when selling your home. Use bright colors for your door. Colors like reds, tangerine, and indigo are sure to impress buyers.
– If you have an attic, turning it into a bedroom will pay you back about 72.5 percent on a $50,000 project. That’s a great investment! An eyebrow dormer in the attic provides light and space for a teenager’s private retreat or a cozy master bedroom, complete with its own bath and dressing area. Using space that is already there doesn’t impinge on the yard, though room for a staircase is needed.
– A minor kitchen remodel can also improve your home’s chances of selling tremendously. The average cost of such a project is about $20,000 and can promise around a 72.1 percent payback. Skip new cabinetry, often the most expensive part of a kitchen makeover. Instead, just clean them up. Swap your old countertops for stone or granite, then add kitchen bling – new glam knobs and pulls on the cabinets, a brushed nickel faucet and soap dispenser along with a new stacked-stone-style glass tile, metal and slate backsplash that “dazzles and pops.”
– A bathroom remodel also yields a great return on investment. A full remodel can cost around $16,000 and payback about 62.2 percent, but a minor remodel can cost around $500 and payback 172 percent! Remove outdated, busy wallpaper and paint the bathroom a light, neutral color. Changing the faucets and light fixtures can also add a splash of newness to the bathroom.
– Garage doors are an inexpensive way to add style to your house and make a great first impression when done right. A new, stylish garage door can cost around $1,500 and payback around 71.9 percent. When it comes to curb appeal, garage doors take up to 20 percent of a home’s façade, expressing style and a home’s personality. Choose heavy duty, low maintenance, energy-efficient doors. Personalize with windows, colors and decorative hardware.
Source: Yahoo Real Estate